Saturday 3 September 2011

The first one... Depression...

Is It Circumstantial?

Does circumstance act as a pre-requisite to depression?

I have known or heard of people with hundreds of thousands, if not millions of pounds in the bank - deeply unsettled and unhappy. I have in equal measure known of people with absoloutley nothing but they're friends and family - who couldn't be happier.
Steven Fry for example - a man with the world at his feet. A Hugely successful broadcasting career, i suspect a healthy bank balance, and also a manic depressive.
Marcus Trescothik - arguably one of the great English batsmen of recent years. A jet setter with the English national cricket team - seeing almost every corner of the world. HE holds a National record for the fastest half century scored in English Twenty Twenty cricket. He has also been clinically depressed.
The above examples allow me to return to the question in hand - is it circumstantial?
In my opinion it is impossible to tell. For many people money means everything - and by having this money means they are never depressed. Are they too busy to stop and think of their emotional well-being? Or are they quite simply, happy? Either - is a suitable answer.
For many people - money means nothing. If a person can go to work and earn a wage - put a roof over their families head and feed the children - are they happy? OR do they feel hopeless? Are they too busy to stop and think about thier emotional wellbeing or are they quite simply - happy? Again - any of these are a suitable answer.
Are material gains  more important than the love and support of dedicated friends and family? Who knows? Every persons view on this sibject - and rightly so - will be different.
However - with an economic climate such as the one present today in Britain - and much of the world, and the increase of those being treated for clinical depression - you do begin to ask if it is co-incidental?

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting and so lovely to read this. I have so many thoughts on this.

    Did you see the Michael Jackson "Bashir Interview"? do you remember him walking through the department store which housed goods to huge values? Poor Michael, walked through the store, pointed at objects that he hadn't even gone up to to hold and observe more closely to see if he really wanted them...no, he just pointed and say "I'll have that"..he did this several times...maybe 20 times...he spent an inordinate amount of money in just a short time in that store. The manager walked behind him rubbing his hands...virtually salivating. It was so disturbing to watch and I truly don't think the average viewer got it. I cried when I saw that...I can't imagine what it must be like to have so much money, so much fame, so much love for me, that I no longer "feel" for things...they are just acquisitions. Michael was, in my opinion, deeply disturbed in many many ways. He had a hard childhood and yet had MEGA fame and fortune...He appeared to be forever escaping ffrom himself. I truly believe, that I am much more happier than he can have been in his later years and yet I have no money.

    I went on a retreat about 5 years ago...I stayed with the brothers in Buckfast Abbey. A beautiful group of people. They have virtually nothing but prayer and gardens for food, yet they are so content and dedicated and live a life of love.

    I sponsor a little girl in Bangladesh. I have a picture of her. In the background is a corrogated iron shack..that's her home. In the forgeground...just soil...she is holding a skipping rope; her only toy...on her face? a smile...a smile?!?! Yep...she's happy.

    So money itself is like a red herring at times...it matters not...and other times, it can cause it...the people begin to replace happiness with money. To me the answer is what values we put on material objects and people. If we value things highly, we will be valued highly. Even if we must be sad from time to time, we have the most rich of lives. We feel.

    Pete
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a great quote by Henry's Cat - a cartoon kitty from the 80s:

    "Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you misery in luxury."

    I'm broke and happy. Life is good, when you see it from the right perspective. :-)

    ReplyDelete